MCLEAN, Va. - When it comes to vacation planning, Clark Griswold has given guys everywhere a bad name. The first National Lampoon's Vacation movie saw his plans to bring his family to Walley World fall apart at every turn. Then his planned trip to Europe was a disaster. He couldn't even plan a simple family Christmas without it becoming a complete catastrophe.
Now the holidays are coming up once again for you and you want to plan your own vacation. It doesn't have to follow the Griswold script. Just follow these five guidelines below and you'll be able to enjoy your vacation without the comedy or the tragedy.
1. Think events before time. Many vacation planners focus right away on how many days they will be gone and fill their time based on this. Why? The days aren't the most important element, it's what you're doing that defines a great vacation. Start your plans by determining everything you want to do and then set aside the time necessary to make all of it happen.
2. Take the initiative. Don't let Clark Griswold's foiled plans stop you. You can plan an amazing vacation and research shows your significant other would appreciate it if you did. Ninety percent of women said they would be happy if their partner did any of the travel planning according to the Travel MANager Weekend Escape Artist survey, conducted by Wakefield Research. Surprise your significant other by planning all of the details for a spontaneous holiday trip using the Travel MANager microsite, an online platform that provides men with advice, resources and tools to plan the perfect trip. Travel MANager offers you professional advice from expert travel bloggers, original research and trip itinerary suggestions all in one digital hub so you can plan efficiently.
3. Budget everything. You may not know what every aspect of your trip will cost, but it's good to have an idea before you go. Having a rough outline of the expenses you'll incur will prevent you from having to forgo any activities or getting that surprisingly high bill at trip's end.
4. Find the right hotel. When you're on vacation, your hotel room is your home away from home so pick a good one to fit your needs. Look for a hotel that allows you to spread out and have a little space. This is especially true if you're traveling with kids who will appreciate the space to play and rest. Homewood Suites by Hilton, for example offers large, spacious suites perfect for you and your family and friends to spread out after an exhilarating day.
5. Save the best for last. The final day of many trips is simply reserved for traveling back home. Instead of subscribing to this tired mantra, save your last day for the thing you wanted to do most. You'll leave your trip on a high note with plenty of amazing memories, and you'll be more apt to stick to your schedule if it preserves your most coveted activity.
Great holiday trips don't just plan themselves, and the more planning you do ahead of time, the less likely you are to have the mishaps that would make your story truly screen worthy. To learn more about how Travel MANager can help you plan your holiday trip, visit mencanplantravel.com.
Director, Brand Public Relations, Hilton
About Homewood Suites by Hilton
Homewood Suites by Hilton, Hilton’s upscale, all-suite, extended-stay hotel brand with more than 400 locations in the United States, Mexico and Canada, is an award-winning leader. The first choice for guests seeking comfortable accommodations when traveling for an extended or quick overnight stay, Homewood Suites offers inviting, generous suites, featuring separate living and sleeping areas, and fully-equipped kitchens with full-size refrigerators. Additional value-driven essentials include: complimentary Internet, a daily full-hot breakfast and complimentary evening social every Monday-Thursday. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to book a stay, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else, free standard Wi-Fi and digital amenities like digital check-in with room selection and Digital Key (select locations) available exclusively through the industry-leading Hilton Honors app. Homewood Suites is focused on guest satisfaction and stands behind each stay with its 100% Suite Assurance® guarantee. For more information on the extended-stay advantage, visit www.homewoodsuites.com or news.homewoodsuites.com.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company, with a portfolio of 14 world-class brands comprising more than 4,900 properties with over 800,000 rooms in 104 countries and territories. Hilton is dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company by delivering exceptional experiences – every hotel, every guest, every time. The company's portfolio includes Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Canopy by Hilton, Curio - A Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, Embassy Suites by Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton by Hilton, Tru by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Home2 Suites by Hilton and Hilton Grand Vacations. The company also manages an award-winning customer loyalty program, Hilton Honors. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose exactly how many Points to combine with money, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else and free standard Wi-Fi. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.
About Home2 Suites by Hilton
Home2 Suites by Hilton, one of the fastest growing brands in the history of Hilton, is a mid-tier, all-suite award-winning extended-stay hotel concept designed to offer stylish accommodations with flexible guest room configurations and inspired amenities for the cost-conscious guest. With a commitment to environmentally friendly products and hotel operations, Home2 Suites offers complimentary breakfast selections with hundreds of combinations; innovative and customizable guest room design; laundry and fitness area; complimentary Wi-Fi Internet access; multiple outdoor spaces; 24-hour business center; expansive community spaces; and a pet-friendly environment. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to book a stay, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else, free standard Wi-Fi and digital amenities like digital check-in with room selection and Digital Key (select locations), available exclusively through the industry-leading Hilton Honors app. Visit http://www.home2suites.com/ for additional information or www.home2franchise.com/ for franchising opportunities.